GET FAST AND EFFECTIVE TREATMENT FOR BIRTH TRAUMA
The Perrymount offers a new clinic in Birth Trauma Resolution Therapy (BTR). This clinic is run by a specialist birth trauma midwife (Emma Mills) and health visitor (Nicola Headley). Both therapists are experienced practising health professionals and have qualified in BTR therapy. With their clinical experience in pregnancy, birth and beyond they are able to offer a complete package of care to achieve the best outcome for you to move forward and enjoy family life.
What is Birth Trauma?
Birth trauma effects 20,000 women a year in the UK *. It is not unique to a woman and can also impact on fathers, birth companions and medical staff.
Trauma doesn’t just have to come from an emergency situation or life-threatening event; it can emerge from feelings of loss of control, feeling helpless, a loss of security, or not feeling listened to. We work very much with the view that birth trauma is unique to the individual and their experiences or perceptions of the birth, and that it is NOT merely what type of birth you had.
What is BTR therapy
- Do you feel panicked or anxious about your birth experience?
- Did you feel invisible or unheard through your birth?
- Do you experience flashbacks or intrusive thoughts of your birth?
- Did you feel ‘trapped’ or unable to leave the situation?
- Are you having nightmares?
- Do you avoid thinking/talking about your birth?
- Are you disconnected from your family and friends?
- Do you find it hard to sleep and have heightened anxiety at night?
- Are you scared to have another baby?
- Any of these symptoms can be because you are experiencing trauma after your birth. This treatment offers you a fast, effective therapy to deactivate the trauma but also offers the vital additional techniques and strategies to provide a positive mindset moving forward.
BTR is designed to offer you quick and effective relief from the hugely debilitating symptoms of birth trauma and post-traumatic stress disorder. This therapy offers you solutions-focussed treatment over 1-4 sessions. The therapy consists of a step by step process including:
Who it affects
- Listening to your unique birth experience with a non-judgemental approach.
- Having the opportunity to be listened to by a health professional.
- Teaching you breathing and relaxation techniques to reduce symptoms of anxiety and panic immediately.
- Use of the Rewind technique to transform the memory that previously made you feel anxious or scared, into a memory that is like any other that doesn’t produce a heightened emotional response.
- A personalised guided visualisation/relaxation technique.
- Rebuild your confidence after trauma.
- Techniques to help prepare for a future birth.
Emma and Nicola are trained to work with mothers, fathers and birth companions. We are also able to offer treatment for midwives, obstetricians and health visitors suffering from vicarious trauma after witnessing or listening to the horrors of a traumatic birth. Birth Trauma Therapy is at the Perrymount at Clinic times:
Monday & Friday
How much it costs £70 for 90 mins session
“Before I had the treatment I wasn’t considering having any more children, due to my previous experience! I felt too scared to even contemplate going through a similar birth. After the first session I was able to look back at my birth without fear. By the third session I felt positive and in confident about the possibility of another baby. I couldn’t believe how fast and successful this therapy is, a must for anyone who has had a difficult birth”. Mrs S - Sussex
“Thank you so much for helping me to enjoy my baby without any of the resentment, fear and anger I was feeling after he was born. You really have changed my life and I will be forever grateful to you”. Mrs W - Sussex
Emma is an experienced midwife, practicing in the field of midwifery for over seventeen years, and a mother of two. She is a practising midwife and a specialist birth trauma therapist. She has worked in the NHS, private practice, the charity sector and independent midwifery. She currently provides private midwifery, birth trauma therapy at the Perrymount and works at local stand-alone birth centre.
If you have any questions, please feel free to speak to Emma with a FREE 15mins chat at the Perrymount.